Friday, February 14, 2014

Story-matic Jukebox

The time has come when I have to say I am idea dry.  But being an old man, I am rich in one brain resource--boring stories. I thought if I let you pick the topic, then you might not run when you saw me coming.
Here they are. Each topic covers about 20 hours of near truth tales:
  • How I protected America from Poland for three years, courtesy of the US Army.
  • How I worked for NASA and polished satellite skins.
  • How I was a Skinnerian rat psychologist.
  • How I wrote a couple of great (my opinion) mystery novels.
  • How I was blimp pilot for the DSRV submarine.
  • How I rode a Schwinn 30 pound bike from San Francisco to New York with a side trip to LA to practice.
  • How I was head (no pun intended) incense maker at a San Francisco company in the 70s.
  • How I learned to juggle while studying electronics and building tube circuits at City College.
  • How I ran a beach umbrella and surf mat rental stand in Ocean City.
  • How I met and did half a life with the best wife ever.
  • How I was a telephone lineman and saved the wires from evil squirrel teeth.
  • How I was surveying a chunk of Maryland until I discovered poison oak.
  • How I was Captain Video (my official job title) at Apple for five years.
  • How I thought I was going to be a movie director and shoot the great super8 epic.
  • How I lived in the French Quarter in New Orleans, hanging with ex-beats and a bunch of boat people from Cuba.
  • How I helped professors quit worrying about students using spell checkers on their assignments.
  • How I went to a Virginia military college and learned to march, spit shine, wear Civil War style uniforms, and polish massive brass buckles (and do some classes too).
  • How I hitchhiked across the US a couple of times and got to know US 40 really well.
  • How I built most of the microwave calibration equipment that HP sold to Iran.
  • How I went to India, Pakistan, LA, New York, and Mexico and got really sick in each place.
  • How I almost became an Air Force pilot until they discovered I was too tall to fit in the plane and had the reflexes of a dead cat.
  • How I learned Polish and then 40 years later, finally learned Spanish.
  • How I worked my butt off for 30 years in education as my special way to not get rich.
  • How I ended up in Oaxaca, Mexico and almost stayed.
  • How I wrote Stanford University's Shakespearian staging simulation, dead squirrel simulation, and jet engine simulator.
  • How I almost survived 70 years of this stuff.

No comments: